Saturday, June 28, 2008

The Beginning!

I have decided to start this blog to chronicle my adventures in sewing.  I have never taken a sewing class (unless you count home ec. in 7th grade which, let's face it, shouldn't even count.  Why would seventh graders really care to learn to do the things their moms already do for them?) and I have decided that sewing is a talent I would really like to have.  I told my neighbor about my ambitions and she let me borrow one (of her many) sewing machines.  

I wanted to start small.  With the help of my mother-in-law, I made a crib bumper and a matching quilt.  It was easy enough and gave me the courage to move on to bigger and better things.  When I was pregnant with my second daughter I decided to make a nursing bib.  I made up my own pattern and it turned out really cute.  I gave the first one away as a gift, made a second for my sister, and finally kept the third for myself.  

My next project was a blessing dress.  My neighbor had made my first daughter, Emma's dress and I wanted to make our second daughter, Jaycie, her own--just like her big sisters.  I didn't really use a patter other than looking at Emma's and to cut out the bodess.  It turned out beautiful, so I decided that I must be good and would try my hand at making my own clothes. This is where the road gets bumpy, and where this blog begins...

No comments: