Saturday, June 28, 2008

Sew Crazy

Never in my life have I wanted so badly to be good at something and have sucked so much.  

On Monday I went shopping and bought a bunch of fabric and everything I would need to make a swimming suit, about four shirts, and two nursing bibs.  It is now Friday and I have not finished a single project.  

I started with a nursing bib (which I have done several times before).  It was relatively easy, so I decided to stop working on it and move to the swimming suit.  I was so excited to get started. By the end of the night my back was killing me and I had only cut out the pattern and the fabric, but I was still hopeful that it would be done by the next day.  How hard could it be; there isn't that much to a swimming suit.  

The next day I started sewing things together and tried to figure out what the pattern was trying to tell me.  On Wed. I figured out that the sizes on the package were not accurate and I had been making a size eighteen suit (which I am not a size eighteen)!  On Thursday I decided to stop working on the swimming suit before I freaked out and cut it into tiny little pieces. I was tempted to do this several times.  

Today, I started making a shirt.  I had cut out all the pieces last night and was ready to sew, sew, sew all day.  I figured I could whip out at least four shirts by the end of the day.  Well, it is 2:00 in the afternoon and I don't have a single shirt made.  As a matter of fact, I don't have any of the pieces for the first shirt sewn together.  I got really mad at my (borrowed) sewing machine for stretching the fabric out of line every time I tried to sew something and decided I had better take a break before I called a random person to tell them off.  

I want to be good at sewing!!!!!! I would really enjoy taking a sewing class and owning my own sewing machine.  I want to be good at sewing sooooo bad.  However, I am starting to think that I will never be.  I made Jaycie a blessing dress and it turned out so cute (and I only swore once during the entire project), so I thought I could do anything after concurring that project but a stupid t-shirt has proven me wrong!  

If you see me walking around with fabric draped over my body with a half finished piece of size 18 spandex underneath, you will know that I have had a nervous breakdown and will never be sewing again!

No comments: